For many people living in the provinces, moving to the city is a way to lift themselves out of poverty. Compared to any rural area, there are more job opportunities in the Metro, so it’s understandable for an ordinary Filipino to dream of finding work in these urbanized towns and bringing money back to their loved ones in the province.
Some also choose to find jobs abroad, and they are collectively called OFWs or overseas Filipino workers. Getting employed in a foreign nation is a great opportunity for Pinoys to earn more money that they can send back to their loved ones at home. However, the price they have to pay is not being able to see their family for an extended period while they’re in another country.
As long as Filipinos choose to move to the city or another country to find job opportunities, money transfer solutions in the Philippines will be needed. That’s why Cebuana Lhuillier offers Pera Padala services. We want to give Pinoys a fast, reliable, convenient, and secure way to send their hard-earned money back to their loved ones at home.
The Need To Send Money to the Philippines
Countless Filipinos live far away from their loved ones just to have access to better work opportunities. Because of this, the Metro remains densely populated, and over a million Pinoys are currently abroad as OFWs. Once they find a high-paying job far from their homeland, the need for them to send some money back home becomes more apparent.
Back in the day, Filipinos used the “padala” system to send money back to their loved ones at home. This usually involved waiting for a friend or a colleague to return to the province and kindly asking them to deliver some cash. Of course, this requires a considerable amount of trust from both parties, but while this system may still work for some, it has many drawbacks, including:
- Irregularity – Perhaps the most obvious flaw of the “padala” system is its irregularity since you won’t always have a friend or colleague who will return home. Because of this, it becomes difficult for your loved ones in the province to budget their finances since they don’t know if they will receive some money.
- Inefficiency – Your family members who are supposed to receive the money will have to wait a few days before getting the cash. Commuting from the Metro back to the province takes a while already, depending on where you are. It will take even longer if the friend entrusted with the cash is coming from abroad.
- Risky – As obvious as it may seem, the “padala” system is incredibly risky because it only involves a verbal agreement between two friends or colleagues. While it’s great to have someone you can trust with a large amount of money, it’s still not a good idea to rely on this unsafe system if you want to send cash back home.
Right now, there are more ways to send money, and they addressed all the issues of the traditional “padala” system. Cebuana Lhuillier’s Pera Padala service, for example, is a fast, reliable, and convenient solution if you need to transfer money to the Philippines from almost anywhere in the world. We have over 2,500 branches nationwide and plenty of partner institutions abroad that you can visit if you wish to send cash to your loved ones.
Ways To Send Money Internationally
Excluding the traditional “padala” system, many ways are available now to send money internationally. If you are currently abroad, you can transfer money to the Philippines using your e-wallet. Another way is to try international bank transfers. Both methods are fast and secure, but they also have some drawbacks.
For e-wallets, you have to create an account and register, so it’s not the best option if you’re not tech-savvy. International bank transfers, meanwhile, require you to have a bank account in the country you’re currently in. Applying for that can be quite a hassle for foreigners since these financial institutions will ask you to present different documents and IDs.
You don’t have to go through that trouble, though, because Cebuana Lhuillier is here to assist you. Here’s the proper way to do an international money transfer using our Pera Padala service:
- Go to the nearest Cebuana Lhuillier international partner.
- Ask the staff for a form and fill it out with the necessary details.
- Submit the form to the staff, along with your ID and any other supporting documents needed.
- Give the money to the staff and wait for them to process the transaction.
- Get the receipt from the staff and write down the reference number indicated on it.
- Send the reference number to the recipient in the Philippines.
If your loved one is claiming the money, all they have to do is visit the nearest Cebuana Lhuillier branch and tell the staff about it. They will be asked for the reference number you sent them and an ID to prove their identity.
Security of Online Money Transfers
Many financial transactions can now be done online, including transferring money from one account to another. Cebuana Lhuillier offers something like this, as well. If you have the eCebuana app, you can transfer money from your micro savings account to another micro savings account. If you’re a worker in Metro Manila, you can use this service to easily send money to your loved ones in the provinces.
More and more people are starting to prefer digital financial transactions. But the question is, how safe is it to send money online? Here are some issues you might encounter:
- Fraud – This is one of the major concerns among online financial accounts. Some people may access your account and tamper with your money without your knowledge.
- Online Scams – Another type of fraud happens through phishing. The fraudster will get your data through various means and steal your money without your knowledge.
- Service Interruption – Online accounts are heavily reliant on the internet, so you can’t do proper transactions if you have a slow connection. Sometimes, the problem lies in the server itself, so you just have to wait until the system is back up.
These are just a few problems you might encounter as an online user. They rarely happen, though, and they’re preventable if you’re careful with your account. You can also rest assured that financial institutions are doing their part to help you avoid these situations.
Money Transfer Apps You Can Use
Right now, there are many money transfer apps you can use, and you can download them on your phone easily. Here are some examples:
- Bank Apps – Financial institutions have their own apps that their customers can use for convenience. Transfers through these apps are typically free if you send money to an account holder from the same bank.
- Digital Wallets – Also called electronic wallets or e-wallets, these apps can be used to store electronic cash. You can use them for online transactions, such as buying goods or paying bills. Money transfers are also possible using these apps.
- Cebuana Lhuillier App – Cebuana Lhuillier has the eCebuana app. With it, you can easily access your micro savings account and make various transactions. You can also send money to fellow micro savings account holders with just a few clicks.
Countries That Accept International Money Transfers
Filipinos work all over the world, and it’s a good thing that institutions like Cebuana Lhuillier can help with their money transfer needs. Currently, OFWs are distributed in different countries, including:
- Saudi Arabia – The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia remains the most popular destination among OFWs. This country ensures higher take-home pay for Pinoys because they have tax-free salaries.
- UAE – After Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates is the next top destination among Filipino workers. The country is said to prefer Pinoy employees, so they offer plenty of job opportunities for OFWs.
- USA – The United States might not be a popular destination for OFWs, but this country is among the top choices for Filipino immigrants. People who migrate to the USA often send money back to their kin in the Philippines.
No matter where you are in the world, Cebuana Lhuillier can help you with money transfer transactions to the Philippines. All you have to do is visit any of our partner institutions and send the amount you want.
Convenient Money Remittance With Cebuana!
Whether it’s international or domestic money remittance, Cebuana Lhuillier can help you! In the Philippines, we have over 2,500 branches you can visit if you wish to send money to your family. You can also take advantage of the eCebuana app if you want to transfer funds to another micro savings account from the comforts of your home.
If you’re currently abroad, we have international partners you can go to, depending on where you are. Some of our prominent remittance partners are Western Union, MoneyGram, EzRemit, and WorldRemit. Visit any of their branches, and send your money without experiencing any hassle.
Cebuana Lhuillier is here to help you with money transfers to the Philippines, no matter where you are in the world! For more information about our Pera Padala services, contact us today!